Sunday, September 15, 2013


Walking through Life

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose  -Romans 8:28 ESV

 

My morning routine includes a walk on most days. The pace is just right and sometimes I realize the walk is over before I know it. Being deep in thought, I suppose the walk has become habit without a lot of concentration on my part.  But that one time I stub my toe or trip over something reminds me to pay attention and not take things for granted.  Likewise, just when we feel like we have the world by a string, something comes out of nowhere to dash our hopes and we are left with disappointment. It is disheartening to feel that our dreams are slipping away. That our hopes have aborted us and we sit alone in disillusion. Whether it is a sore toe or one of life’s lessons, both hurt!

 

What is the definition for disappointment? It is the failure to fulfill our expectations. Better said, disappointment is the gap that exists between expectation and reality. It has happened to all of us. This past week I had to sit down and cope with several disappointments. They can come so suddenly that it sucks the breath out of you. No, nothing devastating, just setbacks that will turn around for good as they always have. But don’t we set our minds to the way we think things should play out and when they don’t we find ourselves stunned!

 

Sometimes I have really questioned my heart, my thoughts, my beliefs, and my faith. Just because I write an inspirational column doesn’t set me apart or give me immunity from low valleys in life. In fact, I am convinced sometimes that God purposely allows difficulties so I will have something to write about!! God has his sense of humor and I try to keep mine too! Seriously, when in the depths of the valley, it does feel like we are all alone. Then God sends us help through a scripture, a friend or someone in passing that lets us know that He has us covered. As I said this week, God will make it work out. I don’t know how and I don’t know when, but we can trust Him. And that we must do!

 

What is the opposite of disappointment? Perhaps we could include words like success, blessing, happiness, encouragement, help, comfort and more. So how do we climb out of disappointment into blessing? The simplest way is not focus on defeat or disappointment but look over it, beyond it. By focusing on our lack, we won’t see the abundance on the other side. I know this is hard. Frustration mounts as time goes by, but God does have the last word. Surrendering our situation to Him instead of circling our problems and reliving them over and over will bring us up and over into God’s grace and favor a lot quicker!!
 
###

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment