Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hope Lives


Reflections by the Sea © Betsy Ore Glass
April 08, 2009

I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. John 11: 25

Easter represents Hope and it shines the light on God’s Promise for Eternal Life. Eternal Life means even more to me this year as we recently said goodbye to my dad in January. I am counting on God’s Promise that as believers we shall never die, but live in eternity. A favorite old Easter hymn is called “He Lives” and part of the chorus says this:

He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today! He walks with me and He talks with me Along life's narrow way. He lives, He live, salvation to impart! You ask me how I know He lives: He lives within my heart.

Martin Luther is quoted as saying that “Our Lord has written the promise of the resurrection, not in books alone, but in every leaf in spring time.” How true. Each budding tree or bush is showing us new life. My mother tells me that my dad’s prized climbing roses are budding already. Yes, new life. It gives hope and meaning to new beginnings.

It doesn’t matter what happened yesterday. We can have a new beginning today. A fresh start. A new life. We have everything within us, on the inside of us, to start anew. God believes in us and wants the very best for us. Educator Alice Freeman Palmer said that “For I remember it is Easter morn, and life and love and peace are all new born”. Today is a new day. Lord, we believe in you and we ask for a fresh new anointing of love and peace to fill us and surround us, to see our life and circumstances in a new light.

No comments:

Post a Comment