Wednesday, August 19, 2009



Standing on Higher Ground


Reflections by the Sea © Betsy Glass


Then the Lord said to him, Take off your sandals; the place where you are standing is holy ground. Acts 7:33 NIV

When we were little kids, we were so excited at the thought of climbing to the top of the dunes at Jockey’s Ridge. The dunes seemed taller back then and maybe they were. Even so today, I marvel at the size of the dunes and the amount of sand that is there now and how it changes shape in the currents of the wind. Once, when I was 7 or 8 years of age, I remember that we climbed to the top of Jockey’s Ridge to watch fireworks. On our way up, we would sink in the sand up to our knees and try to wriggle free. I was scared to walk up to the top by myself and made sure my Dad was nearby to pull me up if I started to sink in the soft sand. Once at the top of the dunes, there was an amazing breeze. We were glad that we had brought towels to sit on after the long walk up. But, those towels were used instead to wrap around us to keep off the chill of the night air and hide from the sting of the blowing sand. Such good times!


This week, a song that we sing in church has been simmering in my heart. It’s called “Still Standing”. This contemporary tune has great lyrics….”On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand, but by the grace of God, I’m still standing”. I’ve had a chance this year to reflect on many things. The comings and goings of ones I have loved, the changing tide of some relationships and more. But God wants to remind me that I am still standing. Nothing can knock me down. I have His Favor and His Hand is just within reach at all times to catch me when I feel myself sinking. And I am not special. God will do it for you, too. He is there for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment