Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Father

A Father



Reflections by the Sea © Betsy Ore Glass
June 15, 2011

Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you. –Exodus 20:12 NIV

A father should be the foundation of the family on which the mother and children stand secure. That is the ideal family. But it isn’t always the case. In the last 45 years, it is reported that the United States has become the world leader in fatherless families. Single mothers do the best they can to be mother and father to their children. And grandparents stepping in and other role models to provide a father figure like coaches and teachers. Churches today recognize the need to help and provide support to families and therefore youth groups are becoming vital as a source of values and fellowship with guidance to the children. Anyone who helps to shape a child’s life in a positive way enforcing love and values is an angel on earth and we should thank them.

I will miss my father again this year. Now in heaven, or as he referred to it as "the sunny side", it seems just yesterday that I was buying that plaid short sleeve shirt and sweet card to hand deliver. I miss the smell of his after shave and the scent of his shaving cream. He laughed easily, had strong opinions and loved generously. I was blessed to have my dad for my friend. Today, at this time in my life, I have a heart full of memories to fall back on and for that I am glad. He always puts us ahead of himself. He saw to it that we took vacations, Sunday drives, ate lots of ice cream, went to ball games and he lovingly sat in the living room chair as I stumbled through my impromptu weekly piano recital, playing just for him. He loved roses and I was so proud when I painted one of his roses for my mother this past year to hang on her wall to last forever. “Your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever.” ~Author Unknown

Time is fleeting. It is going by at record speed. If you have your father, don’t let a moment go by without picking up the phone or stopping by. If you are not reconciled with your father, make peace. You will be glad you did. It doesn’t matter who is at fault. Love covers over all offenses. Love conquers all.

If you are a father, count your blessings and know that God has blessed you with this most important job for the rest of your life. Be the best at it. Don’t forget to make memories because of people like me, that is all that we have now from that most important relationship.

And to all of us, never forget that our Heavenly Father is always there. We can talk to Him. Cry to Him. Rejoice and celebrate our triumphs with Him. He guides us everyday. In little ways and big ways. He is often obvious in our life and other times His voice and suggestion is very subtle…but He is always there.

On this Father’s Day, may God bless all our fathers and father figures, past, present and future

No comments:

Post a Comment