Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tide

Tide


Reflections by the Sea © Betsy Ore Glass
July 06, 2011

I call on you, my God, for you will answer me; turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.-Psalm 17:6 NIV

If you enjoy the beach, fishing or boating it is essential to check the tide charts to see when the high and low tides are. Low tide exposes shells on the beach but it makes it difficult for boaters to navigate if the water is already shallow. Moving water from the incoming or outgoing tide can affect the days catch according to avid fishermen who surf cast or pier fish.

The tides change twice daily and that is one of the reasons the beach can look differently at the shoreline from day to day. Many times we have ups and down like a tide. Our emotions can run high and our energy runs low. Problems feel as though they are engulfing us, wave after wave and we are in a battle to stay on high ground. There is a spiritual solution to our problems. The tide of the battle changes with prayer. I can’t remember how many times things seem hopeless but when I started to pray, I could begin to see my prayers making a difference. In big things and little things. Many times, especially in my inner circle, I will hear of the difficulties and despair of family and friends. Yet when I ask if they have prayed, the answer is mostly no. Prayers at any time don’t have to be elaborate or be said with fancy words. Instead, God knows our heart and knows what we need before we ask in prayer. Simple prayers said with simple faith using simple words are all that is needed to start the tide of the battle changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment