Thursday, July 21, 2011

Enjoy the View

Enjoy the View

Reflections by the Sea
Betsy Ore Glass
July 21, 2011


Come and see what God has done, his awesome deeds for mankind! -Psalm 66:5

How wonderful it was recently to visit the newly constructed Jennette’s Pier. Seems to me it is simply a work of art and beauty. I believe they thought of everything to make the experience enjoyable, fun and comfortable. My Mother and I found the second floor covered balcony overlooking the ocean and enjoyed a morning of sightseeing and never had to leave our chairs. We saw the length of the pier looking mighty and strong. Families taking strolls to the end of the pier were mingling with the hardy fishermen lugging coolers, tackle and bait. Off to each side on the beach were a sea of colorful umbrellas set up in the sand with families gathered in the shade to keep cool. From our vantage point, we could look towards the sound and see it in the distance. Imagine that, looking at the sea and sound in one glance! And then a magical moment came when seven or eight beautiful pelicans, forming a straight line flew at eye level past us. They were within arms reach. I fumbled with my camera to try to get the up close shot but gave up and enjoyed the view instead. I almost missed it all trying to capture it forever with my lens.

My visit to the pier was a reminder of all things I love and all of it is a gift from God. The warmth of the sun; the smell of salt air and the occasional ocean breeze that offers refreshment. The sound of the waves, one after the other as they build and crash to the shore. I know I am at the beach when I hear the noise that the seagulls make and see the perfection of a pelican glide in and out of the water. And then the surprise and delight when we see a dolphin in the distant ocean that surfaces every now and then. God gives us gifts everyday. There is beauty in everything, but it is up to us to find it. Even if we are busy with many projects and seem not to have any time for ourselves, the view is still there. What will God give you to look at today?

No comments:

Post a Comment