Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Irene

Irene


Reflections by the Sea © Betsy Ore Glass
August 31, 2011

He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place, he rescued me because he delighted in me. Psalm 18:16-19 NIV

Storms at the coast can be fierce, but a hurricane can be life threatening to all in its way. Howling winds and driving rains are to be expected with rising tides, including storm surges that know no boundaries. What makes the barrier islands of the Outer Banks so beautiful is also what makes them so vulnerable. With little or no dunes at all to protect the beaches, homes often lose their footing and wash out to sea in hurricane winds. As quickly as the hurricane comes, it most always departs with the same speed. But that was not the case with Irene. With a span of over 450 miles across, it seemed she would never move on. In her wake, the discovery of broken homes and businesses that littered the sound and beaches are heartbreaking. Historic storm surges flooded areas that have never seen flood waters before. While many were directly affected with losses in this hurricane, there were many that were not. No matter how Irene affected the Outer Banks and surrounding areas, we should count everyone blessed. No doubt, there were fervent prayers to God by his people asking God to provide protection. Many stories will unfold over the next few weeks of people that were touched by God and spared. God put them at the right place at the right time.

As the shock of this hurricane subsides and is replaced with the task of cleaning up, it is important that we give God our anxieties, our fears, our frustrations and ask for a renewing of faith. No matter what the situation is that we may be facing, God promises that we are not alone. He will sustain us and He will show His favor upon us. In Psalm 18:28 it says, “You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.”

Turn to God with prayers for the Outer Banks, the residents of the surrounding areas of North Carolina and the eastern United States that were touched by Irene, that God would turn the darkness into light.



No comments:

Post a Comment