Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Honoring Parents

Honoring Parents
Reflections by the Sea © Betsy Ore Glass
May 16, 2012


Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother”— which is the first commandment with a promise— “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” Ephesians 6:1- 3

This time between Mother’s Day and Father’s Day reminds me of that great commandment that tells us to honor our Mother and Father. If we need an incentive to do this, the Bible says that by doing so, we will have a long life. While my Father went to be with the Lord three years ago, I still have the honor to enjoy my Mother. And I know I am blessed. But not everyone seems to feel that way about their parents. I see disrespect, unkind comments and irritation all around me when people close to me talk of their aging parents. In particular, elderly parents often have special needs and their fears about their own health and mortality often show up in their impatience or their demands for comfort and assistance. The wise child understands this and honors their parent at all times no matter what. As we get older we may be in need of help, assistance and most of all love too. It is often easier to understand a situation if we can put ourselves in it…it fosters more compassion. So we give now when we can and consider it a privilege and an honor. We are God’s earthly arms and legs to act and to do what is pleasing and kind to Him and beneficial to our parents. We are his angels on earth to be extensions of his Love. This is one of the ways God uses us. And with God’s grace, when we are elderly and in need of help, we will trust God to surround us with earthly angels to help us as well.

To the caregivers and children of those parents that need a little extra right now, the Lord is your strength. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him. Psalm 28:7 NIV.  Caregivers and families have the best of intentions but it is a job that gets old quick if the attitude is not rooted in God’s Love. Some days are harder than others and offer daily challenges but are easier to get through on God’s strength rather than our own. If you are blessed to be a child or a caregiver of an elderly parent or person, be grateful for the opportunity to show God’s love through your caring hands, gentle words and tender heart. God sees everything. He wants us to live in love, peace and to give honor. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Colossians 3:13-15

No comments:

Post a Comment