Sunday, October 21, 2012

Changing Landscape



Changing Landscape

 
I was pushed back and about to fall, but the Lord helped me.  The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. -Psalm 118:13-14 NIV
 
Every time I take a look at the beach, the shoreline is different. The currents, weather conditions, strong winds and waves all combine to cause the landscape to change its appearance often. Mighty storms come ashore and take large portions of sand out to sea. The protective dunes often get swallowed up, leaving big cliffs in the wake of the storms. Other times, the beach will seem to be replenished. Sand is constantly being pushed  around by nature. For me though, that is the magic of being near the beach...to see the daily changes. It amazes me that a perfectly sunny day can disguise the havoc going on in the ocean. Offshore storms that we cannot see have the ability to push water into strong waves onto the shore from many miles away. Have you ever been to the beach when the wind was so strong, you were literally sand blasted? Winds blowing with such velocity do have the ability to move sand in such a way that walkways and vegetation get covered over. Yesterday's footprints are covered over leaving today with a clean, blank canvas to leave our mark.

While I wish I could take credit for this statement, instead, I heard it said at church last week from our Pastor. “Don't let your thoughts push you around. Instead, push them around.” When I heard those words, I knew exactly how important it was to follow that instruction. There is a reason that when we put on God's armor, we include the helmet of salvation. It is to protect our minds. We are told that we become what we think. So it all unfolds. If we let sickness, fear and worry fill our minds, we soon will be caught up in it and have plenty of sickness, and plenty to fear and much to worry over. It is like we become a magnet for what we think. That is reason enough to control our thoughts

Taking a road trip this week, I went in and out of little towns and my radio station had to be changed frequently as I searched for a new signal. That is how it is with us. When we get flooded with thoughts that we know are not good like all those “what if” thoughts,  we just simply have to change the channel. We should search for a new signal. By pushing negative thoughts out of our minds, we can consciously allow only the good ones in. Romans 4:17 says we can call those things that don't exist into being. The times in my life when I was sick, I would see myself well. When I was tired, I would think myself being refreshed. When there was lack, I would think prosperity and abundance.  By starting off our day  on the “right channel” we are embarking on a new beginning to live positively in hope. Our new thoughts will be an encouragement to us and to those around us.

1 comment: