Saturday, April 26, 2014

Horizon

Horizon

I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."
 –Psalm 91:2 NIV
 
There are many definitions for the word, “horizon”, but I came across two that I liked enough to share. The dictionary states that “a horizon is the apparent intersection of the earth and sky as seen by an observer”. Another definition is “the range of one’s knowledge, experience or interest”. The times I have spent at the beach, looking out towards the horizon, I have wondered what was beyond what I could see. I trust that the maps of the world are correct and that there are countries on the other side of the Atlantic…yet I can’t see them from where I stand on the North Carolina shore. The range of my vision is limited. It is then that trust comes into play. But it isn’t always easy to trust in something if we can’t see it for ourselves. That is one of the spiritual lessons we each have to learn on our own with God as our teacher. Many times He allows us to walk certain paths with only the vision of a few feet in front of us. He lifts the veil of fog to reveal more when He is ready. Isn’t it daring to consider ourselves walking on a course but we don’t know where we are going? Not at all, if we have trust in God. He knows where He is leading us. He can see beyond the horizon. Trusting in God’s provision and care is not always easy for those that have relied on their own abilities to control their destiny. I know because I was one of those people and God has put me in situations where I have had to trust Him completely many times over. But this I can say. Surrendering to Him is good and He has never let me down. Our trust should be in Him. Part of trusting in Him is believing that the road we are on is one He has chosen for us. We should trust that He is leading us step by step and teaching us lessons to grow us spiritually along the way. And finally believing in His vision for us that stretches beyond the horizon. If we realize that He knows our needs and desires, plus we trust Him to know what is best for us, it makes it easier to let Him take the lead, so that we may follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment