Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Discipline

Discipline

My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in. Proverbs 3:11-12

As a southern born and bred woman, I have always put importance on manners. My children will tell you that they were disciplined to be polite, appreciative, grateful and respectful no matter what the occasion.  They are now respectable and respected adults today and for that I am grateful.

Now, while looking after my grandson, we are learning about manners too. It’s a new generation, living in different times, but some things don’t change and that is to respect others as well as yourself. He is learning the simple manners. Very basic. Saying “please” and “thank you”, sharing, not crying or throwing a tantrum when things don’t go his way. Then, napkins in laps, saying grace before a meal and saying “thank you” afterwards. This is a work in progress!!!

Yesterday, my grandson and I were lunching at a restaurant. Things started out well until the little one decided to shake his cup full of milk which was about to explode. I intercepted, and he let everyone in the restaurant know how unhappy he was that I took his cup away. Oh, he has quite a loud cry when he wants his way. Given that he is only two and a half years old gets him a little leeway, but not much…manners can be taught at any age, and sooner the better. We took a quick little walk outside the restaurant and I firmly told him that there was a better way to behave. That his milk might have spilled on the floor or gotten on the other people. The crying stopped, we walked back in, hand in hand, happy and ready for a good lunch. He understood firmly, but with love, that his actions were not acceptable. Sometimes, discipline is simply redirecting with an explanation of what is expected.  I have more patience now as a grandmother than I did as a mother. I don’t know how I managed back then and am glad I can’t remember!! My praise to parents everywhere for the hard work it takes to raise godly children in a fallen world.  And this grandmother is certainly trying her best!


God uses discipline to teach us. And it is said that discipline is the evidence of love. Setting boundaries for our children because we love them is exactly what God does for us. Enduring difficult times and hardships are things we should consider as possible discipline from God. What parent does not discipline his child and God is our Heavenly Father. Our nature is to rebel against boundaries that don’t suit us or that we don’t agree with. But often times, there is a bigger picture. If we allow it, God is constantly shaping us, molding us. And yes, disciplining us too. And that is how we can have a fruitful, faithful life living within God’s boundaries and expectations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment