Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Praise

Praise

The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and He helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise Him. - Psalm 28:7

Some days my world seems to be smaller because I am seeing it from a different perspective. Teaching my little grandson has made me realize it is hard for me to make adult conversation when my husband comes home at night! Can anybody relate to this? I am well versed on Disney movies, nursery rhymes, ABC’s and playing ball with my little man! My enthusiasm and praise is measured in short sentences like “good job” and “good boy”.  And I see what praise can do to his little spirit. It is the greatest encouragement of all. His face lights up and eyes sparkle when he earns a sticker or gets a “high-five”.  What is praise? The dictionary says, “It is the act of expressing approval or admiration”.  I think of it as positive attention. And this I know…everybody needs it.  I think deserved praise is to the spirit what a hug is to the heart.

God says we are to praise Him. So often, we go to Him with our long list of requests, needs and wants and after we have deposited that list with God, we forget to praise Him. That is when we know we are off balance in our relationship with Him. When I find myself feeling down or in want, I make my list of all God has provided. Then I realize I have nothing to complain about and everything to praise Him for.

Be a person that praises. I don’t mean false praise, but one that acknowledges a good job, a good deed and creates an encouraging, positive environment. While teaching my grandson to pray, we begin with ‘thank you” for all God has given us. And then we ask God to bless our family. It is simple and sweet. God doesn’t want our fancy talk and big words. He just wants us to talk to Him like we would talk to a trusted friend. He is that and so much more to us. Think of how our praise must make God feel. He is so worthy of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment