Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ocean Waves


Reflections by the Sea © Betsy Ore Glass
February 14, 2008

(Betsy’s sister, Robin Ore of Kill Devil Hills, NC is writing today’s column and has provided her photography. Betsy will return next week.)

I lift up my eyes to the hills— where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. - Psalm 121: 1-2

This time of year, you never know if the ocean waves will be crashing wildly or if the ocean waters will be as smooth as glass. There is always something interesting that the waves have washed up on the beach. Have you ever walked along the seashore and found a piece of beach glass? I find it exciting to discover this battered ocean glass among the seaweed and broken shells. Beach glass is found in an assortment of colors like green, brown, yellow, frosted white and cobalt blue. Recently, I had a piece of glass I found made into a necklace that was delicately wrapped in silver wire. It’s just a piece of glass that has survived months, maybe even years, tossed in rough ocean waters, shaped and molded by each crashing wave. I think this necklace serves as a reminder to me of how God is constantly doing a work to shape and mold us to be the person He created us to be. How does God shape and mold us? One example is by letting us go through experiences where we are helpless in our own strength and must rely on Him. This is where faith is built. God wants to teach us to trust Him, to lean on Him as He showers us with His grace and mercy. He comforts us during times of distress and brings us through, rooted even stronger in faith. Isn’t it comforting to know that we don’t have to do it alone and that our help comes from above?

No comments:

Post a Comment