Tuesday, December 29, 2009


Looking Ahead


Reflections by the Sea © Betsy Ore Glass
December 29, 2009

but I gave them this command: Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in all the ways I command you, that it may go well with you. But they did not listen or pay attention; instead, they followed the stubborn inclinations of their evil hearts. They went backward and not forward. -Jeremiah 7:23-24 NIV





Time does not stand still. The transition from 2009 to 2010 marks the beginning of a new decade. This particular approaching New Year feels more reflective than usual. I’ve been looking back over the last 10 years. Perhaps you are doing the same, too



Anyone who has travelled knows how difficult it is to take heavy luggage. It is back-breaking and cumbersome. It gets in the way but if anyone is like me, I tend to “over-pack” because I am convinced I need everything. So at this time of year, I am wondering just how much “luggage” from years passed I will continue to carry with me as I step in the New Year? Questions I have been asking myself are,”Can I let things go? Can I just finally give it all up? And then I think, “What would Jesus have me do? The answer is always the same. Look to Him always. I am vowing to let Him take my ”luggage” or better said, to carry my burdens and hurts. Disappointments can linger overhead sometimes like a dark cloud. Not everyone treats or responds to us in the way we would like. Going into the New Year is an opportunity to make some changes. Seeking God to find our direction is far better than going solo. He has a Will for each of us. To waste time on things that can’t be changed is hurtful to us and to Him. He has a better way and a better use of our time. For all we know, this may be the year that God has a really big plan waiting for us and we need to ready for it.



So how do we release the things that weigh us down? We can’t change anybody but ourselves. I know that laughter is good medicine to our body and spirit. Respect is a symbol, a behavior that honors us and others when given and received. Discipline is necessary especially when it comes to filtering the words that flow from our mouth. Charity shared comes from a heart full of gratitude. True generosity and tender- heartedness are actions that only come from a pure heart. Giving unto others is biblical. If we are busy becoming more “God-like” in our every day actions, we simply will not have time to be burdened with the past.



When the clock strikes midnight and the New Year is upon us, it is like turning a page in a new book. The pages are blank. In no time the essence of our heart will spring forth and the pages in our book will write themselves, day by day. Each year that has passed is another year in our legacy. What changes to make? Choose to follow God. Declare His Blessings. Expect that our obedience to Him will cause blessings to shower down on all we set out to do. Be grateful for our days on this earth. Give God praise for letting us come this far and rejoice in all His goodness. We are able to meet the New Year with confidence knowing that we are blessed with God’s Divine Plan and purpose in our life. Happy New Year and Blessings to All!!

No comments:

Post a Comment