Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Pea Island

Pea Island


Reflections by the Sea © Betsy Ore Glass
July 07, 2010

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. - Psalm 18:2 NIV

The Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge could also be called paradise. The refuge was established in 1937. It is one of the few places on the Outer Banks that appears untouched by man. The natural beauty of the changing dunes, grasses and vegetation is the perfect setting for the many ponds, flats and marshes found throughout this 13 mile stretch of land. With over 5,800 land acres, it is located north of Hatteras Island and 10 miles south of Nags Head. This is home to approximately 365 bird species. To be able to enjoy Pea Island today and all its inhabitants, we are grateful to those that had a vision many years ago to preserve this area for years to come

The beautiful beaches and serenity has always made Pea Island a favorite place for our family. A place to soul-search and be still. The beaches are perfect for long walks. It is important for each of us to have a special place to go. It is when we are quiet that we can hear God’s voice on the inside of us. He recharges us and breathes new life into us. When we become stale and stagnant, He gives us a push and guides us. He uses our times of solitude, meditation and worship as an opportunity to reveal things to us. Pea Island is a perfect place to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life to take time to enjoy the beauty He has surrounded us with. With just the sound of a distant bird, the ocean waves lapping the shore and the coolness of a summer breeze, Pea Island can be a refuge for us too!

No comments:

Post a Comment