Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ship's Wheel

Ship's Wheel

Reflections by the
Sea 
 
 Betsy Ore Glass
April 19, 2012


The ship was caught by the storm and could not head into the wind; so we gave way to it and were driven along. -.Acts 27:15 NIV

The wheel of a ship actually turns the rudder, which then changes the direction of the vessel. Over the years, the steering mechanism has changed somewhat, but the concept remains the same: a ship simply needs a wheel to direct it on its proper course. A ship’s wheel is quite a nautical find in an antique store. To see a ship’s wheel that has been restored and transformed into a table is a real conversational piece Recently, I was walking along some docks and could peer into the boats that were tied up. I was surprised and delighted to see the ships’ wheel in today’s photograph was still functional and relied upon.

If our life is thought of as a ship, then who is steering us in our journey across the sea? I find myself taking the wheel out of God’s hands and I often try to steer my life alone. It isn’t anything conscious that I do…it just seems to be an old habit. When I lose my direction and seem to go in circles, God who has patiently stood by, steps in and gets me back on course. It is silly really that we often think we can go our own way. The tendency is to go to God only when there is a crisis. We are all probably guilty of that at some time in our life. We should really go to God for everything; our health, our relationships, our families, the finances, work, school and more. I know that some might think that they shouldn’t bother God with the little things. That He has enough to do already. But God can handle it and He delights to be in daily, constant fellowship with us over the big things and the little things. If we are on the move with our life, learning, growing and doing, then we need direction. We are not as wise as we think we are sometimes. Best to leave the steering up to Him. That way we know our steps are anointed and we are never alone when we turn the wheel over to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment